Monday, September 22, 2008

Bypassing the Roadblocks of Autism

1.5 million Americans are diagnosed with autism. Unfortunately, many families allow a child’s autism to keep them from experiencing family vacations. Luckily, times are changing Many hotels, cruise lines, and travel destinations are offering programs specifically designed for families with autistic children. They have structured programs so that the autistic child is never left guessing about what is going to happen, which is often times very disturbing to them. Even in unstructured environments like airports, parents and doctors are more inventive with methods for keeping the experiences in these places going well. Doctors are able to issue a form for autistic children allowing them to move directly to the front of the line while going through airport security so that it is over quickly. At home before the trip, some families act out scenes from the airport so their child feels more comfortable when they are there. Overall, our society is becoming more aware of the challenges presented to autistics and is working hard to allow these people to enjoy vacations.

I am so pleased that our society is making improvements in travel so that people with autism are able to have the same experiences that I do when I travel. My cousin is autistic, and he does have difficulty adjusting to a new schedule while on vacations. I think that these new programs will allow him to be more comfortable and confident while traveling. One can learn so much through travel, so travel should not be limited to people without autism. I would like to applaud the companies who are starting programs so that people like my cousin are able to experience travel relaxed and safe. I would also like to ask that when one sees an autistic child poorly reacting to travel, please do not judge the child or the parents for not being able to control their child. People with autism are prone to being set off or upset by little things out of anyone’s control. The parents are accepting a lot of responsibility in taking an autistic child on vacation. I am so proud of the companies and organizations that are giving autistic children and adults the opportunity to experience travel.

Original Source
Margolies, Jane. "Bypassing the Roadblocks of Autism." The New York Times. 14 Sept. 2008.The New York Times Company.22 Sept. 2008 .

6 comments:

Kristen H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen H said...

Hannah, reading your post made my day! Two things that I'm very interested in are travel and understanding disabilities. Autism is unique because of how it varies from person to person. Some Autistic people would be very nervous and overwhelmed by even the thought of travel, and the new and bustling surroundings they would have to encounter. These people and companies that thought about accommodating Autistic people are very special and should be respected and applauded for their thoughts and execution. I'm very pleased to know that there are people out there that work to make others more comfortable with travel. If the world can be opened up to everyone, people will feel more confident with many other things. This solution seems like it could definitely spiral into solving other problems and accommodating many people with travel and other things in the future. I also agree with your point to accept everyone and not pass judgement. If people could be more aware and educated about other people's needs and differences our world could change for the better. This change is already starting with solutions for seemingly overwhelming travel, which gives me so much hope that other accommodations will be made, and that people will understand other people better.

Meghan M said...

Hannah, your post was very interesting to read. I agree with you and think this is a great program with many possibilities. When thinking of travel, accommodating mentally handicapped people is usually not one of the many things that come to mind. That is one of the reasons I feel it is great of the people who have thought of the many hardships that come with an Autistic person when attempting common activities such as travel and vacation. I personally have experienced these situations with my brother who has special needs and know the many troubles that come with them. I think this program will allow for easier travel and wider vacationing options for the families of those with Autism which is great and will hopefully increase the opportunities for these families and individuals.

Sean C. said...

Hannah your post was very informative. I was not aware that so many people were diagnosed as being autistic. I think it is great how many companies are encouraging familes traveling with autistic children, helping to get rid of the steroetype of autistic children as somehow less human.

I also agree of how you should not judge autistic children from their actions. You probably don't understand why they are doing what they are doing, and thus judging them would be irrational.

Brenden said...

This was a great insight, Hannah. I never considered how difficult it would be for people with autistic family members to travel. It never occured to me that being in an airport or any different place would present a problem to those with mental disabilities. I'm glad that many of us are smart enough to notice these situations and create ways to make them better and easier to deal with.

I also agree that an autistic person should not be judged for their condition. This is usually the first thing that comes to mind when I think of people with autism or any other disability: how they are socially treated. People might seem nice to them, but you never know how differently they might think or feel.

annie said...

Hannah, I really like this article and what you thought about it. I am very glad that companies are finding easier for the familes of autistic children to travel. I love traveling and I can't imagine what life would be without it. Traveling is a big part of my life and I'm glad new programs are available for autistic children and families.